Alan Shearer’s Premier League predictions including Newcastle vs Liverpool
Alan Shearer is back with his Premier League predictions for the opening weekend of the new season.
Arsenal got the defence of their crown off to a winning start, sweeping past newly-promoted Coventry City at the Emirates on Friday night.
Another new arrival in Hull City get their campaign up and running against Manchester United this afternoon with new-look Tottenham in action away to Brentford later on this evening.
Newcastle United host Liverpool in Sunday’s showpiece with a west London derby seeing us home on Monday night with Fulham taking on Chelsea at Craven Cottage.
Exclusive Premier League previews
Get ahead of the start of the season with our weekly football newsletter. Sign up now for free.
As ever, England legend and Betfair ambassador Alan Shearer has revealed his Premier League predictions to Metro.
Hull vs Manchester United
I think it’s going to be a different season for Man United, Michael Carrick has done a very good job. He deserves the chance to go again. I know the Carlos Baleba transfer is still ongoing, but Man United will have too much for Hull.
Prediction: Man United win
Betfair Predicts
Hull: 10%
Draw: 19%
Man United: 72%
Ipswich vs Sunderland
I’m always wary, and I know I’m going against what I’ve said in terms of Hull and Coventry, but particularly when a newly promoted team is at home and they’re playing a club like Sunderland, I’m always wary in the first four or five games that the atmosphere will be unbelievable. So, I’m going to say Ipswich home win.
Prediction: Ipswich win
Betfair Predicts
Ipswich: 35%
Draw: 29%
Sunderland: 36%
Everton vs Crystal Palace
I think Everton will have enough against Crystal Palace in this one. I think Everton will be rocking on the first game of the season. Everyone will be excited. So, I’m going to say Everton home win.
Prediction: Everton win
Betfair Predicts
Everton: 43%
Draw: 28%
Crystal Palace: 29%
Nottingham Forest v Leeds
This is a really tough one to predict. I’m going to go a draw. I think Leeds will do all right this season. They made a couple of good signings. So, I’m going to go a draw. Oliver Glasner is a really good appointment by Forest, he knows the Premier League and did unbelievably well at Palace.
Prediction: Draw
Betfair Predicts
Nottingham Forest:41%
Draw: 29%
Leeds: 30%
Brentford vs Tottenham
This is another tough one. Spurs have spent an absolute fortune but this is a tough one to call. Brentford last season were unbelievable. Keith Andrews was up there as one of the best managers of the season. Tiago up front had an incredible season. I’m going to go draw.
Prediction: Draw
Betfair Predicts
Brentford:40%
Draw: 26%
Spurs: 35%
Manchester City vs Bournemouth
As poor as Man City were made to look last weekend by Arsenal, I do still think they’ll have enough to beat Bournemouth.
Prediction: Man City win
Betfair Predicts
Man City: 66%
Draw: 20%
Bournemouth: 15%
Brighton vs Aston Villa
Another tough one to call. Villa have been stripped of their best players, I read a really good article the other day about the number of players being bought by top six clubs from the rest of the Premier League is growing year on year and Aston Villa and Newcastle have both been a victim of that this season.
They’ve lost Rodgers, Konsa, Tielemans and they might be losing Watkins. It’s tough. Emery is an unbelievable manager, and he is their biggest asset, I’d be concerned for them if he wasn’t there and in charge, but because he is I still think they’ll have a decent season. This will be a tricky first test, so I’ll say it will be a draw.
Prediction: Draw
Betfair Predicts
Brighton: 44%
Draw: 27%
Aston Villa: 30%
Newcastle vs Liverpool
It’s going to be an emotional atmosphere because of the tributes to Kevin Keegan. I’ve already seen one or two bits about what the fans and both football clubs are going to be taking part in, it should be an unbelievable atmosphere beforehand, an emotional atmosphere because of what Kevin meant to both football clubs and both sets of fans. So, I’m going to go draw.
Prediction: Draw
Betfair Predicts
Newcastle: 25%
Draw: 25%
Liverpool: 51%
Fulham vs Chelsea
I’m going to go away win. I think Chelsea will have a decent season. Fulham, I think, will struggle. It’s a big ask for Arbeloa to come in and take over.
Prediction: Chelsea win
Betfair Predicts
Fulham: 24%
Draw: 25%
Chelsea: 52%
from Metro https://ift.tt/7p1eNMU
No comments